Fallen Heroes 5K

When the Fallen Heroes 5K was announced we both registered right away in order to support the work of his police department. The race was held over St Patrick's Day Weekend & put on by the department, benefiting the Henderson Honor Guard. This was the first year for the run & honestly you wouldn't of known. It was well organized & emails were sent on a regular basis with any updates & details needed.

This was my first timed 5k, I'd done a couple Color Runs before but who actually races those?? To be honest I was a bit nervous as to how I would do. Knowing most of the people participating were very fit police officers! 
The run was held at a local park in the city, what was most amusing about the location is it used to be a gravel pit!
Always rocking Sparkle Athletic! 


 
A bag pipe band performed before the run. They were fantastic! 

My first gun start for a race. 

    The course went around a small lake at the park. 

The course was hilly (for a 5k) & with a 8am start it was a bit warm & humid & of course my Garmin couldn't get the GPS going so I ran with just the intervals. It was not my best race at all, but hubs stayed with me the entire time.
  
After race food.  There was a TON of fruit. 

The balloons marked the finish line. 

A bounce house & face painting were offered for the kids who had parents running.

My festive outfit - even if it wasn't a Disney race I still managed to show my Disney Side. 

Overall it was a great event! There was a 1 mile walk offered as well. We received t-shirts featuring the Be Kind logo & Fallen Police Officers fund. I will definitely attend this race every year it is offered. It was very well organized & a lot of fun. Plus running with a bunch of officers & their families is always enjoyable. 

What was your first timed race?

No comments:

Post a Comment